Friday, August 5, 2011

A Chocolatey ebook Break

So I guess I'm not as industrious this summer as I was last summer even though the sunny weather didn't come around until about a week ago. The problem is that I have discovered that I can upload ebooks from the library and so instead of playing around with recipes, I've been catching up on my reading. It is a bit selfish of me; only I get gratification from my reading. But I guess I shouldn't be too hard on myself since I did cook up a few tasty dishes, it's the blogging that I've been rather lazy about. Lately though, a few friends have asked me about my blog and I thought I'd at least post something that could satisfy a few tastebuds. And since I just finished my latest novel (Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins), caught up on the lastest episode of Suits (sooo easy on the eyes!), and actually remembered my password for blogspot, I'll share a recipe for a perfect summer dessert: Triple Layer Jello Cake.



Triple Layer Jello Cake

Creamy Chocolate Layer

1 cup milk
2 packets gelatin
1 cup (8 oz.) heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup plus 3 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. cocoa powder
1 cup sour cream

Creamy White Layer

1 cup milk
2 packets gelatin
1 cup (8 oz.) heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup plus 3 tbsp. sugar
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice

Chocolate Top Layer

6 tbsp. sugar
4 tbsp. cocoa power
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 cups water
2 packets gelatin

1. Chocolate Top Layer: To save time, start with the top layer, since it takes the longest. In a small saucepan combine sugar, cocoa powder, chocolate chips, and water. Heat on medium high, stirring constantly, until all the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. Pour in gelatin and continue stirring until the mixture boils. Take off heat and let cool to room temperature. Meanwhile, prepare the other two layers.

2. Bottom Layer (Creamy Chocolate): In a standing mixer, using the whisk attachment, whip together the heavy cream, cocoa powder, and 3 tbps. sugar until very stiff peaks form (it should have the consistency of Cool Whip). Switch to the paddle attachment and add the remaining sugar and sour cream. Beat slowly until smooth and combined. In a microwaveable dish stir together the milk and gelatin and let stand one minute. Microwave milk/gelatin mixture for 30 seconds and then stir (repeat microwave/stir process two more times). Pour the milk mixture into the chocalate cream mixture and beat slowly until smooth. Pour into a 9 x 13 inch glass baking dish. Refrigerate until set, about 15-20 minutes.

3. Middle Layer (Creamy White): Once the bottom layer is set, make the middle layer using the same process as the bottom layer, omitting the cocoa from the whipped cream and adding the lemon juice. Slowly pour the Creamy White mixture over the set Creamy Chocolate mixture. Refrigerate for another 15-20 minutes, until the middle layer is set.

4. Finally, pour the cooled chocolate (step one) over the set Creamy White Layer and refrigerate for another 15-20 minutes. Slice and serve!

Tips & Thoughts

**Instead of making your own whipped cream (heavy cream + sugar), you can substitute with an 8 oz. tub of Cool Whip. I like to make my own because I feel like I'm cheating if I use ready made stuff (weird, I know). Also, it's cheaper if you get a half-gallon carton in Costco. It lasts a while and you can make so much more!

**I haven't tried this yet, but I noticed that in a lot of gelatin recipes, it seems like it's the combination of hot and cold that gets the gelatin working. So I think it might work if you only add 1 cup of water to the Chocolate Top Layer concoction, boil it, and then pour in the remaining cup of cold water. Might be even faster to get it to cool down, since it is annoying to have to wait to let it cool. I'm going to try this next time.

**Instead of the Chocolate Top layer, I've used a fruity Jell-O, prepared according to package directions and poured on top of the white layer. Gives the Jello Cake a completely different taste and look.

No comments:

Post a Comment